out of state traffic ticket

california license out of state traffic ticket

1. California driver : Out of State traffic ticket

Your out-of-state traffic ticket can result in a point going on your California license record - see California DMV points on your license for Out-of-State Violations below.

2. Out of State or Out of Town driver :

If you got a traffic ticket while visiting Los Angeles County, we can handle the whole process for you without you ever having to come back here.

You got a ticket while visiting LOS ANGELES County

Are you an Out of State resident with an Out of State license and you got a traffic ticket in Los Angeles County and:-

  • Now your license is suspended?
  • Or this ticket is preventing you from getting your license renewed?

We can help clear up your license problems.

Or are you an Out of Town resident (you live a long distance from Los Angeles County) and you got a traffic ticket in Los Angeles County?

Call us to speak with a Los Angeles Traffic Ticket Attorney for a free legal consultation to discuss how we can help (310) 285-1516.

Huge fine from GC Services or other collection agency

Out-of-State or Out-of-Town & Huge Fine from a collection agency?

For a ticket you got while visiting Los Angeles
Are you from out-of-state or out-of-town and you got a letter from GC Services or Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson LLP or Harris and Harris (collection agencies) demanding payment of a huge fine for a traffic ticket you got while visiting Los Angeles?

We can handle this in Los Angeles County for you, so you do not have to deal with GC Services or other collection agencies or go to court at all. If you live out-of-town or out of state, we can take care of the whole process for you, so you do not have to come back to Los Angeles, and we will clear up any license problems for you and fight the fines.

We deal with GC services or Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson LLP or Harris and Harris (collection agencies) for you and then get a court date in front of a Judge for you so we can fight the traffic ticket and the big fines they are trying to get out of you.  Call us (310) 285-1516 to speak with a Los Angeles Traffic Ticket Attorney.

See also: GC Services - How to fight the charges & fines

Most states share and report traffic violations

One Point on your license for out of state traffic tickets

Your out-of-state traffic ticket can result in one point going on your license record in the state you are from, as most states share and report traffic violations.  This applies if you are :-

  • A Californian resident and got a ticket while out-of-state
  • Or an out-of-state resident and got a ticket while in California

See below for a list of out-of-state violations which count as one point on your California license.

The following information applies to residents of California.

California Drivers License and Out-of-state Violations

California DMV Points

california licenseUnfortunately for California residents, if you get a traffic ticket in another state, the California DMV will count that ticket on your record here in California. The DMV will put points on your California driver record for traffic convictions that you receive in other states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Under Vehicle Code Section 13363, the DMV determines whether the same violation, if committed in California, would be assessed negligent operator point count or would be grounds for suspension or revocation. Points resulting from Out­ of­ State convictions may form the basis, or part of the basis, for a DMV action against you.

Collision from Out of State

If a California driver has a collision out-of-state, it may be reported to the department through the Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS), National Driver Register or out-of-state law enforcement agencies. These collisions are entered on individual records and report the date and location of the collision. When there is not enough information to determine responsibility, these collisions are not assigned points. Therefore, no action is imposed, except if the driver license is suspended or on DMV probation and the collision occurs during a suspension when there is evidence of driving while suspended. When these reports are reviewed and it is determined that the driver was responsible, had been drinking, was injured, etc. the report is then updated onto the driver's record and, if the driver was responsible, the Out of State collision adds one point to the record.

Points on your California license for Out-of-State Violations

The following Out of State violations will be points on your Californian driver license if you are convicted of these violations:-

13BrakesOne point
61Child passenger seat restraintOne point
11Crossing double lines/markers/dividersOne point
67Defective headlightsOne point
30Disobedience of lawful orderOne point
28Driving in a prohibited areaOne point
75Driving off road/on shoulder/on sidewalkOne point
58Driving while impairedOne point
20Driving while suspended or revokedTwo points
18Drunk driving/injuryTwo points
81DUI/BAC 0.04% or more/commercial vehicleTwo points
82DUI/commercial vehicleTwo points
84DUI/controlled substance/commercial vehicleTwo points
38DUI/dangerous drugs not narcoticsTwo points
37DUI/narcoticsTwo points
34Entering/exiting from thoroughfareOne point
51Equipment/unsafe, illegal or defectiveOne point
72Erratic driving/suddenly changing speedsOne point
45Explosives transportationOne point
10Failure to obey traffic controlOne point
6Failure to yield right-of-wayOne point
93Fatal accident violation/commercial vehicleOne point
87Felony controlled substance/commercial vehicleOne point
86Felony involving commercial vehicleOne point
73Fleeing scene or evading arrest by turning lights off
when lights required
One point
69Following emergency vehicle unlawfullyOne point
5Following too closeOne point
92Following too closely/commercial vehicleOne point
19Hit and RunTwo points
85Hit and run/commercial vehicleTwo points
91Illegal lane change/commercial vehicleOne point
7Illegal/unsafe use or change of lanesOne point
40Illegally modified vehicleOne point
14LightsOne point
47Manslaughter with gross negligenceTwo points
46Manslaughter without gross negligenceTwo points
26Negligent/careless/inattentive drivingOne point
77No required equipment/using prohibited equipmentOne point
32Obstructing driver's view or interferingOne point
4Passing/illegal, improper or unsafeOne point
15Reckless drivingTwo points
89-90Reckless driving/commercial vehicleTwo points
16Reckless driving/injuryTwo points
17Reckless driving/injuryTwo points
9Signaling/improper or no signalOne point
02Speed contest/aiding or abettingTwo points
1Speed/too fast or over speedOne point
3Speed/too slow or failure to turn outOne point
88Speeding 15 mph plus/commercial vehicleOne point
27Starting or backing/illegal or unsafeOne point
31Towing/improper,unsafe or illegalOne point
8Turns/illegal or unsafeOne point
33Unlawful riding on motor vehicleOne point
74Unsafe operation of a motor vehicleOne point
70Using vehicle for felony/aiding or abettingOne point
21Violation of restricted licenseOne point
12Wrong way on one-way streetOne point

Los Angeles Traffic Attorney - We can help

If you are :-

  • An out-of-town resident and got a traffic ticket while visiting Los Angeles County
  • An out-of-state resident and got a traffic ticket while visiting Los Angeles County
- we can help. We can handle the whole process for you without you ever having to come back here.  Call to speak to a Los Angeles Traffic Attorney (310) 285-1516 for a Free Legal Consultation.

This website has been created by the Law Office of Pardoe & Associates, Traffic Ticket Attorneys. We help with traffic ticket problems in Los Angeles County and Orange County, including driver's license problems, DUI, debt collection agencies used by the traffic courts, warrants, court appearances & more. Call us at (310) 285-1516 for a free legal consultation.